Arts and Traditions of the Table: Perspectives on Culinary History
ARTS AND TRADITIONS OF THE TABLE
Columbia University Press New York
- Columbia University Press
- Publishers Since 1893
- New York Chichester, West sussex
- Het Insectenkookboek © 2012 by Arnold van Huis, Henk van Gurp, and Marcel Dicke. Originally
- published by Uitgeverij Atlas Contact, Amsterdam
- English-language edition copyright © 2014 Columbia University Press
- All rights reserved
- This book was made possible through support from the DOEN Foundation, the Uyttenboogaart-Eliasen
- Foundation, Wageningen University, and the Dutch Foundation for Literature.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Huis, Arnold van.
- [Insectenkookboek. English]
- The Insect cookbook : food for a sustainable planet / Arnold van Huis, Henk van Gurp, and Marcel Dicke; translated by Françoise Takken-Kaminker and Diane Blumenfeld-Schaap. — English-language edition.
- pages cm — (Arts and traditions of the table : perspectives on culinary history)
- Originally published by Uitgeverij Atlas Contact, Amsterdam in 2012 as Het Insectenkookboek.
- Includes index.
- isbn 978-0-231-16684-3 (cloth : acid-free paper)
- isbn 978-0-231-53621-9 (e-book)
- 1. Cooking (Insects) 2. Edible insects. I. Gurp, Henk van. II. Dicke, Marcel. III. Title.
- TX746.H8513 2014
- Columbia University Press books are printed on permanent and durable acid-free paper.
- This book is printed on paper with recycled content.
- Printed in the United States of America
- c 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
- frontispiece: Tortilla with grasshoppers and guacamole. (Lotte Stekelenburg)
- cover images: Darlyne A. Murawski © Getty and Cultura Limited / SuperStock
- cover design: Evan Gaffney
- References to Web sites (URLs) were accurate at the time of writing. Neither the authors nor
- Columbia University Press is responsible for URLs that may have expired or changed since the
- manuscript was prepared.
Salt: Grain of Life, Pierre Laszlo, translated by Mary Beth Mader
Culture of the Fork, Giovanni Rebora, translated by Albert Sonnenfeld
French Gastronomy: The History and Geography of a Passion, Jean-Robert Pitte, translated by Jody Gladding
Pasta: The Story of a Universal Food, Silvano Serventi and Françoise Sabban, translated by Antony Shugar
Slow Food: The Case for Taste, Carlo Petrini, translated by William McCuaig
Italian Cuisine: A Cultural History, Alberto Capatti and Massimo Montanari, translated by Áine O’Healy
British Food: An Extraordinary Thousand Years of History, Colin Spencer
A Revolution in Eating: How the Quest for Food Shaped America, James E. McWilliams
Sacred Cow, Mad Cow: A History of Food Fears, Madeleine Ferrières, translated by Jody Gladding
Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor, Hervé This, translated by M. B. DeBevoise
Food Is Culture, Massimo Montanari, translated by Albert Sonnenfeld
Kitchen Mysteries: Revealing the Science of Cooking, Hervé This, translated by Jody Gladding
Hog and Hominy: Soul Food from Africa to America, Frederick Douglass Opie
Gastropolis: Food and New York City, edited by Annie Hauck-Lawson and Jonathan Deutsch
Building a Meal: From Molecular Gastronomy to Culinary Constructivism, Hervé This, translated by M. B. DeBevoise
Eating History: Thirty Turning Points in the Making of American Cuisine, Andrew F. Smith
The Science of the Oven, Hervé This, translated by Jody Gladding
Pomodoro! A History of the Tomato in Italy, David Gentilcore
Cheese, Pears, and History in a Proverb, Massimo Montanari, translated by Beth Archer Brombert
Food and Faith in Christian Culture, edited by Ken Albala and Trudy Eden
The Kitchen as Laboratory: Reflections on the Science of Food and Cooking, edited by César Vega, Job Ubbink, and Erik van der Linden
Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food, Jon Krampner
Let the Meatballs Rest: And Other Stories About Food and Culture, Massimo Montanari, translated by Beth Archer Brombert
The Secret Financial Life of Food: From Commodities Markets to Supermarkets, Kara Newman
Drinking History: Fifteen Turning Points in the Making of American Beverages, Andrew Smith
Italian Identity in the Kitchen, or Food and the Nation, Massimo Montanari, translated by Beth Archer Brombert
Fashioning Appetite: Restaurants and the Making of Modern Identity, Joanne Finkelstein
The Land of the Five Flavors: A Cultural History of Chinese Cuisine, Thomas O. Höllmann, translated by Karen Margolis