- Title Pages
- Title Pages
- Persons Discussed in Flickering Empire
- Chapter One Edison’s Kinetoscope and Pre-Motion-Picture Entertainment
- Chapter Two The Columbian Exposition
- Chapter Three The Dawn of Exhibition
- Chapter Four Colonel William Selig
- Chapter Five George Spoor, George Kleine, and the Rise of the Nickelodeon
- Chapter Six Gilbert “Broncho Billy” Anderson
- Chapter Seven The Edison Trust
- Chapter Eight The Golden Age of Essanay
- Chapter Nine The Golden Age of Selig Polyscope
- Chapter Ten Essanay Signs Charlie Chaplin
- Chapter Eleven Chaplin in Chicago
- Chapter Twelve The Decline of the Chicago Studios
- Chapter Thirteen Major M.L.C. Funkhouser and the Chicago Censorship Code
- Appendix A: Selig Polyscope’s Pointers on Picture Acting
- Appendix B: A Complete List of the Extant Chicago-Shot Films Named in This Book and Where to See Them
- Appendix C: Some Censored Scenes of Chicago Films Noted in Local Newspapers
Hollywood Before Hollywood
Columbia Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us .